In this activity you will learn, through observation of children’s writings, how knowledge about English orthography (correct spelling) is acquired. You will explore the regularity of the English spelling system, see how spelling supports reading, and learn how spelling both contributes to, and results from, learning language.
Grade 1-3 teachers, reading specialists
What to Do:
- View the webinar "What Do They Know About Words: Transitions in Children's Spelling" on RTN.
- Read the article, "How Spelling Supports Reading" by Louisa Moats, printed in American Educator, Winter 2005-06
- Read the article, "How Words Cast Their Spell" by R. Malatesha Joshi, Rebecca Treiman, Suzanne Carreker, and Louisa C. Moats, printed in American Educator, Winter 2008-09
- Complete the assignment:
- Choose five main ideas from the two articles or webinar and respond to the ideas.
- Send your written response to ContEd@neuhaus.org.
- Click here for the rubric for CEU on Demand responses